January 15, 2009

A Year to Remember

I feel as if I have grown a lot in the past year. 17 feels entirely different than 16, but at the same time, I have the overwhelming feeling that I'm in exactly the same place as I was a year ago.

My school's winter dance is this saturday, and I'm attending with the same date as I attended last year. He's a friend, but will never be anything more (despite what he might want). Also, I was surprised to be instant messaged by the guy I was dating last winter, the guy I wanted to go to the winter semiformal with last year, the guy who it just didn't work out with for some reason.

While I've become much more confident, self assured, and independent in the past year, this deja vu makes me feel like I haven't grown at all.

How have you changed in the past year? How have you stayed the same?

3 comments:

sophster said...

i actually feel like i've changed a lot this past year. 17 definitely feels very different from 16. i guess i feel like i've just gained more perspective on everything, and i feel more mature. i've become more comfortable with being alone and not going out every night of the weekend. i've kinda discovered how temporary everything is (friends, school) and i'm just waiting for the next chapter of my life to start. i'm so ready, i don't want to spend another 1/2 year in this place...but i feel like i should be enjoying it for what it is.

Rebecca, A Clothes Horse said...

I always feel changed after a year...it's just a burden when others (like family) can't see it. :)

Anonymous said...

im the same age as you, and it is so different to be 17, and not 16. i dont even know how to explain..